BPH Treatment in Dallas, TX
What is BPH?
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) is an enlarged prostate, which often causes urinary tract problems. When the prostate enlarges, it can squeeze or partly block the urethra and lead to problems urinating. BPH occurs in almost all men as they age, with about half of those over 75 having some symptoms. An enlarged prostate can cause aggravation, but it’s not usually a serious problem – and it is not cancer.
If you’re dealing with symptoms of BPH in the Dallas area, urologist Michael Wierschem, MD may be able to help. Dr. Wiersschem has been a urologist in the Dallas area for over 20 years and has helped countless patients with BPH treatment. Give us a call at (972) 596-6733 to schedule an appointment in Plano or McKinney, TX. You can also request an appointment online.
What are the common symptoms of an enlarged prostate?
Known as lower urinary tract symptoms, or LUTS, they can involve problems related to emptying the bladder and with bladder storage, and may include:
- Trouble urinating
- Weak urine stream
- Not feeling empty after urinating
- Urge after recently urinating
- Painful urination
- Waking at night to urinate
- Frequent urination
- Sudden uncontrollable urge
These symptoms are not always related to prostate enlargement and may be caused by other conditions, such as UTIs, prostate cancer, and diabetes. That’s why it’s important to see Dr. Wierschem for the proper diagnosis of your urinary issues.
How is BPH Treated?
Dr. Wierschem can treat BPH using a variety of means. Many times diet and behavior modification are all that is needed. Decreasing caffeine intake, limiting fluids before bedtime and double voiding (waiting extra time in the bathroom to void again) can be very helpful. If your symptoms persist, you may need to try medication. Several medications are safe and effective for the treatment of BPH.
If these options fail, other options are very effective for BPH:
In-Office Minimally Invasive Procedure
- Rezum® – A quick and simple office procedure that has proven results and has shown to have superior long term results to all other minimally invasive procedures. Dr. Wierschem is a Nationally Recognized Center of Excellence for Rezum®.
- TUMT (Trans Urethral Microwave Thermotherapy) – This is an office-based procedure that utilizes heat to reduce the size of the prostate. It has proven to be moderately effective in most patients.
BPH Surgery in Plano, TX
- Laser TUR (Transurethral Resection/Ablation/Enucleation) – This is done in the operating room and uses laser energy to ablate or enucleate the prostate tissue. Several types of lasers can be utilized including Thulium, Holmium, and Greenlight™. Dr. Wierschem is certified to use all lasers but typically uses the Thulium laser as it affords excellent results with less irritative side effects than the other laser options.
- TUIP (TransUrethral Incision of the Prostate) – This is a simple procedure that can be very effective for smaller prostates.
- TURP (TransUrethral Resection of the Prostate) – This procedure is used on larger prostates and is highly effective. It usually requires an overnight stay in the hospital and can be associated with significant side effects such as incontinence and retrograde ejaculation or a dry climax.
- Robotic prostate removal – This is usually used on very large prostates and requires an overnight stay in the hospital and a longer catheterization. Texas Urology Specialists have urologists that perform this surgery regularly and have had much success with it.
To watch Dr. Wierschem perform a live laser ablation of the prostate, please see the video below.
Schedule a BPH Consultation
If you’re struggling with symptoms of an enlarged prostate in the Dallas area, urologist Michael Wierschem, M.D. may be able to help. Don’t hesitate to contact our office and schedule an appointment in McKinney or Plano. Give us a call at (972) 596-6733 or request an appointment online.