Erectile Dysfunction Treatment in Plano, TX
Erectile dysfunction is a common problem for men and is usually easily treated. Dr. Wierschem is experienced in many different treatment options and is one of the top penile implant providers in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. If you're tired of living with ED, contact us today to schedule an appointment in Plano or McKinney. Give us a call at (972) 596-6733 or request an appointment online.
Treatment Options for Erectile Dysfunction
There are a variety of methods for treating erectile dysfunction (ED). Your doctor can discuss all of these options with you in more detail. All decisions regarding your best option for treating ED should be made between you and your physician, with consideration given to your individual needs and the risks and benefits of each treatment option.
The treatment options include:
- Drug Therapy
- Non-drug Treatment Options
- Penile Implants
Drugs for treating erectile dysfunction can be taken orally, injected directly into the penis, or inserted into the urethra at the tip of the penis. The most commonly known drugs on the market today are Viagra®, Cialis® and Levitra®.
There are several prescription medications that claim to help patients. These pills may help achieve erections in response to sexual stimulation:
- Pills can help you achieve an erection quickly and may have an effect on sexual intimacy.
- Do not provide automatic erections like injection drugs
- Not effective in approximately 30% of cases1
- Must take at least ½ hour to one hour before anticipated sexual activity2
Some patients may experience side effects, including:
- Facial blushing
- Upset stomach
- Mild and temporary visual effects
Some men may be able to gain an erection by self-injecting drugs into their penis, causing it to become engorged with blood. Potential side effects of injection therapy include fibrosis (scarring) and long-lasting painful erections
Advantages of injection therapy:
- It can easily be self-administered
- On-set of erection within 5-20 minutes3
- Injections are shown to have a long-term dropout rate of 37% – 76%.4
Reasons for dropping out of drug therapy include:
- Desire for a permanent treatment alternative
- Inadequate response
- Fear of needles
- Side effects
Non-Drug Treatment Options
Penile Pumps (Vacuum Devices)
Also called vacuum constriction devices, penile pumps are devices that are placed over the penis to draw blood into the shaft. Once the vacuum creates an erection, the retaining band is slid down to the lower end of the penis and the pump is removed. You can leave the band on for up to 30 minutes.
- On-demand use
- Drug Free
- Erection is not warm to the touch
- Learning curve
- Delayed ejaculation
A penile implant is a device that is placed into a man’s body and is designed to help him get an erection. A penile implant is a long-term treatment, that is covered by many insurance plans, which allows an erection as often as you like, for as long as you wish.
- Easy to use
- Totally concealed in the body
- Erections when desired
- Surgical Procedure
- No longer able to get natural erections
Other Treatment Options
Your doctor can provide you with specific details about the pros and cons of each of the following treatments:
- Lifestyle changes like stopping smoking, losing weight and eating healthier
- Oral testosterone
- Intraurethral suppositories (ex. MUSE®)
- Goldstein I, et al. Oral sildenafil in the treatment of erectile dysfunction. N Engl J Med. 1998 May 14;338(20):1397-404
- http://uspl.lilly.com/cialis/cialis.html#ppi downloaded 2/14/17
- http://www.caverject.com/faqs, downloaded 2/13/17
- Rajpurkar A, et al. Comparison of satisfaction rates and erectile function in patients treated with sildenafil, intracavernous prostaglandin E1 and penile implant surgery for erectile dysfunction in urology practice. J Urol. July 2003; 170(1):159-163.
Cialis®, Levitra®, Viagra®, MUSE® are trademarks of their respective companies.
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment Options in Dallas, TX
- Oral Medications – Viagra, Cialis now come in generic form and can be very effective
- Urethral Suppositories – Can be effective for men who have significant side effects from the oral medications
- Penile Injections – These are very effective for patients when oral medication fails
- PRP – P-Shot® – Excellent improvements in Erectile Dysfunction and Enhancement! More information can be found on the dedicated PRP Page.
- ShockWave Therapy – A very effective way to create stronger erections in most cases! More information can be found on the dedicated ShockWave Therapy page.
- Peptide Therapy (Bremelanotide PY-141) – A new and exciting treatment option using naturally occurring amino acids to improve your metabolism which also includes improvement in Sexual Desire and Erectile Dysfunction.
- Human Growth Hormone or HGH (Sermorelin Acetate) – This hormone stimulates your body to produce its own HGH to higher levels which results in many benefits including: Improved Energy, Increased Sexual Desire, Stronger Erections, Improved Sleep, Increased Lean Muscle Mass, Decreased Joint Pain and Improved Mood.
- Penile Pumps – An effective way of obtaining erections and maintaining penile length.
- Penile Implant – Minimally Invasive – The treatment with the Highest Satisfaction Rates! Please see additional information on the dedicated Penile Implant page.