Erectile Dysfunction Specialist in Dallas, TX
The First and Last Stop for Men Experiencing Erectile Dysfunction
As a leader in the field of men’s health, Dr. Wierschem has helped thousands of men with sexual health issues using the latest in medical technology. He has devoted his practice to the diagnosis, treatment, and education of men on issues such as erectile dysfunction. If you're struggling with ED in the Dallas area, he may be able to help you, too. Contact us today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Wierschem in Plano or McKinney. Give us a call at (972) 596-6733 or request an appointment to get started with treatment.
At What Age Does Erectile Dysfunction Affect Men?
Erectile dysfunction can affect men of any age but is more common as men get older. In younger men, psychological issues are often the cause of ED. In older men, ED more frequently has an underlying physical cause, such as diseases like heart disease or diabetes.
Generally, all symptoms of erectile dysfunction will contribute to an inability to develop or sustain an erection. A lowered libido can also be a common sign of ED. If you experience erectile dysfunction in rare instances, and you have no other related health conditions, you should be able to manage your ED without much trouble. Such situations are completely normal, and should not warrant a significant amount of worry. However, if you begin to become concerned about erectile dysfunction and how much it is impacting your daily life, we encourage you to see a specialist.
Can I Prevent Erectile Dysfunction?
Erections depend upon strong blood flow to the penis, so activities that reduce your risk of heart disease may also prevent or improve your erectile dysfunction. This includes:
- exercising at least 150 minutes a week
- maintaining a healthy weight
- giving up smoking
- drinking less (or no) alcohol
- monitoring your cholesterol level and blood pressure, and obtaining treatment, as needed.
What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile Dysfunction: It’s common, and it’s treatable.
If you are dealing with erectile dysfunction (ED), you are not alone: nearly one in every four men over sixty-five will experience some degree of erectile dysfunction.1 Younger men often struggle with ED as well. By taking the time to educate yourself about ED, you’ve made an important first step in finding a solution to erectile dysfunction (impotence).
Erectile Dysfunction is the consistent inability to sustain an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse.
Erectile Dysfunction can be:
- A total inability to achieve an erection – You can never get an erection.
- An inconsistent ability to do so – You can only occasionally get an erection.
- A tendency to sustain only brief erections – You can get an erection, but can’t keep it long enough for satisfying sex.
What Causes ED?
As a result of recent medical research, it is now known that more than 80% of men suffering from ED can trace its origin to a physical problem or disorder.
For most men, the cause of ED can now be fairly easily identified. Once identified, proper treatment can be recommended that may help you return them to a satisfying sex life.
ED can be caused by physical disorders such as:
- An injury (i.e. brain or spinal cord)
- A disease (i.e. diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol)
- Various studies have estimated that between 20% – 71% of individuals with diabetes suffer from erectile dysfunction.2
- An operation (i.e. prostate gland removal)
- Substance use (i.e. tobacco, drugs, alcohol or medications)
Other facts about Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence):
- Approximately 30 million American men suffer from erectile dysfunction.
- Most men with erectile dysfunction still have the ability to have an orgasm and father a child, but often have difficulty doing these things because they can’t get or sustain an erection.
- Erectile dysfunction is not normal and is by no means an inevitable consequence of aging.
- Most men at one time or another during their sexual lives are unable to get or keep an erection. This is normal and does not indicate a problem. However, millions of men of all ages experience this inability as a continuing problem.
- In most cases, erectile dysfunction can be overcome.
- Rosen R, et al. The process of care model for evaluation and treatment of erectile dysfunction. Int’l J. Impotence Research. 1999; 11, 59-74,
- Penson D, et al. Erectile Dysfunction in Diabetic Patients. Diabetes Spectrum. 2004, Vol 17, No. 4, 225-230.
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment Options in Dallas, TX
- Oral Medications – Viagra, Cialis now come in generic form and can be very effective
- Urethral Suppositories – Can be effective for men who have significant side effects from the oral medications
- Penile Injections – These are very effective for patients when oral medication fails
- PRP – P-Shot® – Excellent improvements in Erectile Dysfunction and Enhancement!
- ShockWave Therapy – A very effective way to create stronger erections in most cases!
- Peptide Therapy (Bremelanotide PY-141) – A new and exciting treatment option using naturally occurring amino acids to improve your metabolism which also includes improvement in Sexual Desire and Erectile Dysfunction.
- Human Growth Hormone or HGH (Sermorelin Acetate) – This hormone stimulates your body to produce its own HGH to higher levels which results in many benefits including: Improved Energy, Increased Sexual Desire, Stronger Erections, Improved Sleep, Increased Lean Muscle Mass, Decreased Joint Pain and Improved Mood.
- Penile Pumps – An effective way of obtaining erections and maintaining penile length.
- Penile Implant – Minimally Invasive – The treatment with the Highest Satisfaction Rates!
In all men with erectile dysfunction there is a 43% increase in CVD (cardiovascular disease), 59% increase in CHD (coronary heart disease), 34% increase in stroke and 33% increase in all-cause mortality in patients with erectile dysfunction”* so close follow up with your primary physician or cardiologist is highly recommended.
*Journal of Sexual Medicine 2109;16:1005-1017 Zhao, et al